Portfolio Planning in Microsoft Project
TPG PortfolioPlanner for Optimal Resource Utilization
When a great idea finally turns into a real, approved project, the first question usually is: Do we have the right resources? TPG PortfolioPlanner allows you to aggregate the data from new and current projects at the project level and show each of them as a task in Microsoft Project. This gives you a comprehensive overview of all projects in a single bar chart.
Optimize Your Resource Utilization by Using Your Mouse
Below the bar chart, a dialog box displays several resource histograms summarized by department alongside a line representing maximum capacity. Current and new projects are shown in different colors.
With TPG PortfolioPlanner to adjust the resources plan, you simply drag and drop the project tasks in Microsoft Project until the resource peaks are below the overload level. This enables you to test resource simulations quickly and save the results of different variants.
Benefits of TPG PortfolioPlanner
- Manual optimization of resource utilization by simple drag and drop
- Graphical simulation of current state of projects and immediate view of impact on the resources involved
- Summary of all project data in an easy-to-read diagram
Features of TPG PortfolioPlanner
- Simultaneous display of consolidated project schedules (one bar per project) along with several consolidated histograms
- Report various portfolio resource summaries – by department, by subsidiary etc.
- Highly configurable graphics (bars and lines)
- Data for new projects can be taken from any SQL-based source and information about current projects comes from the Project Server
- Works with Microsoft Project Server 2007 / 2010 / 2013